Saturday 19 January 2013

Aurora dip

There's no birding for me here during the week as its too dark. I go to work in the dark and return after the gloaming. Thursday was a bit of a disaster as I had to work late and it was the day the small solar storm (more just a bit of space weather) hit. I'd driven to the shop at sunset and there had been a bit of green in the sky. The plan was to go out when I got home as the urora usually seems to show here around midnight. This time it showed early evening, whilst I was in the meeting, and my tromping around in the dark and cold much later on was to no avail. Here's a link to what other folk saw... The aurora would have been a nice Foot It tick.

Looks like there might be another opportunity tonight anyway...

(CHANCE OF STORMS: NOAA forecasters estimate a 30% chance of polar geomagnetic storms today. The reason is an incoming CME, which could deliver a minor blow to Earth's magnetic field during the next 24 hours. Arctic sky watchers should be alert for auroras.)

Anyway, about to embark on today's FootIt mission which is to try and find Goosander and the putative Lesser Scaup at Bosquoy and on Harray, better go and get some breakfast.


No comments: